Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Economic crisis silences Romania rock festival

BUCHAREST (AFP) – Organisers on Tuesday cancelled this year's B'estFest, traditionally one of Eastern Europe's biggest rock festivals, blaming the economic crisis.

Santana, The Killers, Patrice, Moby, Motorhead, Ayo, Orbital, Franz Ferdinand and Gabriela Cilmi were among stars at last year's festival which has taken place for the last three years in the Romanian capital, Bucharest.

"Because of the recession still affecting many branches of global economy, B'estFest's organisers, Emagic, has made the decision to postpone this year's edition", the group said in a statement.

"An event of this size has enormous costs, which cannot be supported exclusively by ticket selling, on this market affected by cuts in the marketing and advertising budgets", Laura Coroianu, Emagic CEO, said in the statement.

Coroianu said it would not be possible to have more than 30 artists performing on several stages for at least three days.

Since it was launched in 2007, the festival has drawn more than 150,000 Romanian and foreign fans.

The British band Faithless, which was part of the original line-up for B'estFest 2010, will still perform on July 16, Emagic said.

1 comment:

Nicholas said...

This is unfortunate that one of the biigest festivals for music in eastern europe had to canceled because of the recssion effecting the budget of the concert. This would have been a good way to boost the economy but with disposable income in the low range in todays society it is a shame that it can't be done.