BUCHAREST, July 14 (Xinhua) -- Romania's Minister of Youth and Sport Monica Iacob-Ridzi announced her resignation on Tuesday amid fraud allegations.
Ridzi, who is accused of alleged misappropriation of state funds, said at a press conference that she decided to step down to avoid damaging the government's image.
The parliamentary commission of inquiry into the Ridzi case last week drew up a report suggesting the Chamber of Deputies to start prosecution of the minister.
The chamber decided Monday to convene on July 27 in an extraordinary session in order to discuss the case.
The lower Chamber of the Parliament decided late June to set up an inquiry committee to probe allegations of fund misappropriation against Ridzi.
Ridzi was claimed to mishandle money allocated for organizing the celebrations on Youth Day, which falls on June 2, this year and the Chamber of Deputies decided late June to set up an inquiry committee to probe allegations of fund misappropriation against the minister.
Ridzi repeatedly said that she would resign if the Parliament started prosecution in her case.