Thursday, April 17, 2008

Foreign Investments in Romania Rising

BalkanInsight.com

16 April 2008
Bucharest _ Foreign direct investments in Romania in the first two months of the year was 50% higher than the level in the same period of 2007.

Foreign direct investment stood at € 1.22 billion.

This investments covered more than half of the current account deficit, topping last year's ratio, Romania's National Bank, BNR announced.

At the end of the first two months of last year, foreign direct investments amounted at € 870 million, covering 42.5 % of the current account deficit at that time.

Of the overall foreign direct investments in Romania, in January and February, capital participations and reinvested profit accounted for almost half (49.2 %) and intra-group credits for the remainder 50.8 %.

Compared with January 2008, investments advanced in February by 75.25%.

Romania's medium and long-term foreign debt also rose in the first two months of the year by 1.9% from the end of the last year, up to € 38.912 billion, following increases in debt in private sector as well as the direct public one.

No comments: